It is of key importance to us to ensure the safe, cost-effective and efficient transportation of our products, while caring for the environment and complying with regulations.
We know that transportation can be volatile. We work hand in hand with shippers and carriers globally to understand our customers' challenges and develop easy-to-use, sustainable and scalable solutions. We offer our customers a broad portfolio of transportation modes:
- Sea/Ocean Freight – Suitable for a wide range of our products with long lead time and extensive coverage around the world.
- Rail – Offering reliable transit times and schedules as well as helping to alleviate road congestion, thus lowering emissions.
- Road – Allowing quick and scheduled delivery even in rural areas with very flexible services.
- Intermodal – Allowing cargo to be moved worldwide with multiple modes of transport.
Carbon black is primarily marketed in the form of powder and beads. How it is handled differs substantially depending on the form of the product. Carbon black is mainly delivered in bulk trucks, semi-bulk containers and bags. Bulk trucks and semi-bulk containers are predominantly used for beaded material, which gets transferred from the silo directly into the truck and can be easily delivered to the customer. It is very suitable for large volume processing, saves packaging material and allows the material to be integrated quickly and directly into the production process.
Depending on the grade, powder carbon black and some beaded carbon black can be fluidized pneumatically. This makes it possible to transport the carbon black in large quantities through a plant using high air volumes. Due to its low bulk density and relatively poor flow characteristics, powder carbon black is usually not shipped in rigid vessels or silos, but rather packaged in bags or flexible intermediate bulk containers. Beaded carbon black is much easier to handle due to significantly better flow and conveying properties.
Orion offers packaging solutions in all segments:
- Paper- and PE-Bags – With the variety of bags we have in our portfolio, we are able to provide customers a packaging concept and bag designs to best meet their requirements. We are working with the technology leaders in this sector as we understand the challenge to provide a robust, sustainable packaging solution for our products considering customer-specific requirements, such as low-melt, moisture absorption or barrier protective layers.
- FIBC (flexible intermediate bulk container) – We are working with leading FIBC specialists to develop cost-effective, flexible and sustainable solutions. We can supply customers with the right FIBC that meets their requirements with respect to size and volume as well as addressing specific quality requirements.
- Bag-in-the-box solution – Among the bulk trucks we have developed the bag-in-the-box solution to ensure clean, dust-free handling that involves placing a large FIBC bag into a standard oversea container of 40ft
- Minibag solution – Our new minibags are a sustainable and cost-saving solution for smaller volume requests and are suitable for powder or beaded carbon black
Transportation Safety and Security
Safely and efficiently handling carbon black is our expertise and the expertise of our global partners. Implementing high standards with respect to transportation safety as well as continuously addressing and reducing dust emissions during loading, unloading and handling is a key priority to us. We maintain our loading equipment to high standards, continuously upgrade our handling procedures as well as apply a global standard to our truck and container loading procedures including loading security measures to protect our product and our customers.
We offer you a variety of FIBCs to meet your individual requirements.
We have several paper and PE Bag types in our portfolio covering also specific customer requirements.
Our newest packaging innovation: Minibags.